The Twist-Off is perfect for helping you shield the ball from opponents who are to the side or in front of you. Man. City superstar David Silva uses it all the time when he’s trying to keep the ball for his team. Ledge!
GIVE TEAM-MATES MORE TIME!
If you don’t have space to run, shoot or pass, this awesome 1 v 1 move lets you shield the ball. This will give your
team-mates more time to lose their marker and create space so they can receive the ball! Check out how to practise the skill yourself below!
BALL MASTERY – TOE TAPS & OUTSIDE ROLL
- Begin with the ball in between your feet and continuously tap between the inside of your right foot and inside of your left foot, starting off with a right-foot tap.
- Now, following your third tap (with your right foot), roll the ball with the outside of your left foot and tap it back to your right foot with the inside of your left foot.
- Repeat the action with another three inside foot taps and an outside roll. Start slowly and then add speed – see how many you can do in 30 seconds!
MIRROR MOVES – INSIDE TWIST-OFF
- Start a short dribble with the ball and push it out, so the ball is just in front of you.
- As the ball travels forwards, stretch your foot in front of the ball and cut it with the inside of your foot.
- Just as you touch the ball, spin around in the direction of the foot that you cut the ball with, then burn away!
MIRROR MOVES – OUTSIDE TWIST-OFF
Start a short dribble with the ball and push it out, so the ball is just in front of you.
As the ball travels forwards, stretch your foot in front of the ball and stop it with the outside of your foot.
As you stop it, turn in the direction of the foot that you stopped the ball with, then accelerate away!