Next up in our special-edition Young British Baller series is the CHELSEA midfielder! MATCH takes a look at the baller’s story so far…
POMPEY AND PROUD!
Mason Tony Mount was born on the south coast in Portsmouth and has been a lifelong Pompey fan! His first-ever match was at Fratton Park as a four or five years old with his dad, and the England star recently said that playing against their huge rivals Southampton in the Premier League always means more to him!
Chelsea fans can still class Mount as ‘One Of The Own’, though – he joined their academy when he was just six years old! He famously played alongside Reece James and Declan Rice as a youngster, and is still best mates with the West Ham midfielder – they still go on holidays together and are roommates on England duty!
Playing regularly on loan at Dutch side Vitesse and Championship club Derby definitely helped Mount develop into the player he is today! After his successful spell at The Rams under Frank Lampard, he returned to The Blues with a fire in his belly to break into the first-team squad – and he hasn’t looked back since!
THREE LIONS STAR!
The 22-year-old’s impressive club displays led to Gareth Southgate handing him his England debut in September 2019 against Bulgaria! He then scored his first goal for his nation in the 4-0 away win against Kosovo in November 2019 in Euro 2020 qualifying, and has since established himself as a regular in the senior squads!
The ENGLAND youngster has already established himself as a key player for club and country! We’ve taken a closer look at some of the midfield magician’s numbers!
DID YOU KNOW?
In 2019, he became the third youngest player to score in back-to-back Premier League appearances for Chelsea!
1 – In 2019-20, he became the first Chelsea Academy graduate to make his debut and complete 50 games in the same season!
50 – He was also the youngest English player to reach 50 games for the club since John Terry in January 2002!
25 – He’s the 25th different player to score a penalty for Chelsea in the Premier League!
22 – Aged 22 years and 28 days, Mason Mount is the second-youngest player to score ten Prem goals for Chelsea!
2 – In 2019-20, he became just the second Englishman to score a direct free-kick for Chelsea in the PL after Frank Lampard!
50+ – He’s already created 50 chances for Chelsea this season – more than any other team-mate!
7 – He created seven chances for Chelsea v Fulham – no Blues star has created more in a PL away game across the past five seasons!
1960 – He became the youngest Chelsea player to score for England since Jimmy Greaves in November 1960!
10 EPIC MOUNT FACTS!
Here are ten facts to know about the 22-year-old megastar!
- As a child, he was scouted by Portsmouth, Southampton and Chelsea’s academies!
- His favourite sport other than football is golf, which he plays regularly with his team-mates!
- He watched Portsmouth lift the FA Cup at Wembley back in 2008!
- His heroes growing up were players like Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Niko Kranjcar and Lassana Diarra!
- He chose the No.19 jersey because his birthday is on the 10th and 1+9 = 10!
- If he had to choose, he’d rather win the Premier League than the Champo League!
- Team-mate Antonio Rudiger recently gave him the nickname Mr Chelsea!
- He was named Player Of The Tournament as England Under-19s won the 2017 Euros!
- He grew up as mates with James Ward-Prowse and they used to train together as kids!
- He rocks the laced version of Nike’s Mercurial Superfly football cleats!