First up in our special-edition Young British Baller series is the MAN. UNITED forward! MATCH takes a look at the baller’s story so far…
RED DEVIL AT HEART!
Marcus Rashford was born and raised in Manchester, and grew up a huge boyhood fan of United! He joined the club’s academy when he was just seven years old, but was also offered the chance to sign for rivals City. He hasn’t looked back since being given the opportunity to train with the first-team by David Moyes in 2013-14!
He had to wait until February 2016 before making his debut at Old Trafford, but it was certainly worth the wait! He scored twice against Midtjylland in the Europa League, becoming the club’s youngest-ever scorer in Europe at the time! He didn’t take long to make an impact in the Premier League either, scoring twice on his league debut against Arsenal just three days later!
Even though he’s still only 23, Rashford has already featured at two major tournaments for England! In 2016, he became the nation’s youngest-ever star at a European Championship, breaking Wayne Rooney’s Euro 2004 record by four days! He’s since become a key player for The Three Lions and scored in the penalty shootout win against Colombia at the 2018 World Cup!
He hasn’t just been a hero on the pitch for Man. United this season – he’s been working wonders off it too! He’s helped raise over £20 million over the past year during the Coronavirus crisis for children’s charities, and was then awarded an MBE by the Queen last October for his efforts. Keep up the awesome work, Rash!
MAN. UNITED and ENGLAND youngster MARCUS RASHFORD has enjoyed one of the most impressive breakthroughs ever! We’ve taken a closer look at some of the 23-year-old’s numbers!
DID YOU KNOW?
He scored on his debut for England against Australia in May 2016, becoming the youngest Englishman to score in their first senior international match!
10 – He’s worn the famous No.10 shirt at Man. United since 2018-19 – it’s previously been worn by David Beckham, Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovic!
4 – He’s the fourth-youngest player in United history to make 250 appearances for the club!
40 – He became the first player from the Premier League to play 40 games in all competitions this season!
5 – He’s scored five goals v Chelsea – more than against any other side!
22 – In July 2020, he became the first Englishman to hit over 20 goals in all comps in a season for Man. United since Wayne Rooney in 2011-12!
2 – He’s only the second Man. United player to score a hat-trick as a substitute after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer v Nott’m Forest in February 1999!
92:51 – He scored Man. United’s latest winning goal in the Premier League since September 2009 against Wolves in December!
9 – He’s racked up nine assists in all competitions for The Red Devils so far in 2020-21, his best total in a single season!
10 EPIC RASHFORD FACTS!
Here are ten facts to know about the 23-year-old superstar!
- He has four older siblings – two brothers and two sisters – and his bros work as his agents!
- He was born on Halloween, so maybe that’s why he gives defenders such nightmares!
- He was a keen cricket player as a kid and is now friends with England star Jofra Archer!
- He became part of England’s Euro 2016 squad less than four months after making his debut for Man. United!
- His brother Dwaine reckons Rash learnt his tricks at a young age by playing early versions of FIFA!
- His first-ever footy shirt was an England one with Wayne Rooney’s name on the back…
- …But his favourite player a child was former Brazil striker Ronaldo R9!
- The Football Observatory reckon he’s currently the most valuable player in Europe!
- He was nicknamed Beans by old team-mate and good friend Jesse Lingard!
- He rocks Nike’s Mercurial Superfly football cleats!