MATCH checks out the biggest stars from the FA Women’s Super League!
Club: Manchester City
- She grew up as a big Newcastle United fan, idolising legendary striker Alan Shearer, and actually started out at one of the ex-England goal grabber’s former clubs – Blackburn!
- She progressed through the youth ranks at Rovers, before earning a move to Manchester City in July 2015 – and she’s been at the club ever since. She was awarded the PFA Young Player Of The Year at the end of the 2018-19 season!
- The forward was handed her first England cap in a friendly against Austria in November 2018 – and she scored on her debut! She was also part of The Lionesses’ squad that reached the semi-finals of the 2019 Women’s World Cup. Wicked!
- City fans chant that she can ‘score when she wants’, so she’s known for busting WSL nets!
- As well as her goalscoring skills, Stanway links up play between City’s midfield and attack really well!
- She loves receiving the ball to her feet, looking up and finding a team-mate with a forward pass!
15: The 2018-19 season was the best in her career – she scored 15 goals in all competitions!
19: She’s won 19 caps and scored twice for The Lionesses since her debut in 2018!
2: She bagged a brace in Manchester City’s Women’s Super League opener this season against Aston Villa!
She’ll be looking to improve on last season’s four league goals – and at least reach double figures in 2020-21. Helping City to a title must be a huge motivation too!