Ace Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil loves shielding the ball from opponents to his side or in front by using the U-Turn.
It’s perfect for getting out of tight spaces – like when he’s blocked, can’t run with the ball or combine with a team-mate!
BE AWARE OF YOUR MARKER!
You’ll always see Mesut checking over his shoulder when the defender is to his side, so he knows where they are. As soon as his opponent gets ahead of him, he pulls out the move, shields the ball at all times then bursts into space!
BALL MASTERY – THE TOE ROLL
- To begin this Ball Mastery drill, place the ball part of your right foot on top of the ball.
Now, roll the ball back towards you and point your toes down to the ground.
- Push the ball forward with your laces and repeat while hopping on your left leg. Then switch feet!
MIRROR MOVE 1 – THE U-TURN
- While running forward with the ball, fake to kick it with your strong foot.
Use the toe part of the sole of your kicking foot to pull the ball around and swivel 180 degrees.
- Shield it from your opponent, then use the inside of your opposite foot to push the ball!
MIRROR MOVE 2 – THE U-TURN HOOK
- Like above, run forward and use the toe part of the sole of your kicking foot to turn 180 degrees.
- Push the ball forward and fake to kick it again, then use the inside of your kicking foot to hook the ball behind your standing leg – just like a Cruyff Turn.
- Now you’ve beaten your opponent, turn and accelerate away from them!